Unlike the vast majority of pre-nursing students, I am quite lucky in the number of pre-requisite classes I have to take. Instead of 3 or 4 each semester, plus the other school requirements needed to graduate, I have to only take 6 classes. Total. However, due to timing and requirements of other classes, I had to go through the 3 semester pre-nursing course. Mostly.
It works out to two required courses each semester. While I wish I had come to my senses sooner, and so would have been able to take summer classes (and therefore probably cut an entire year off of this whole deal), ultimately this is what is going on, and I think that it will work out better. No cramming classes in during the summer, and more time to study the truly important things that will lay the groundwork for my future career. Although if I were to listen to my father, I'd be working on a completely different degree during the summer, not entirely sure why. I think my plan for next summer is to find a job at a summer camp, but I've still some time until that has to be thought about.
...and this was all without an official adviser. The START center folks at school are amazingly beyond awesome, fun to work with, open to different ideas and experiences, and have some great ideas of their own. They're also willing to sit back and take what you come up with. For example, I knew the two classes I was required to take. I did my homework as soon as the spring schedule was published and juggled schedule options, made my appointment, and was in and out in about 5 minutes. It was a little mind-boggling that some people said that they had so much trouble figuring out what they wanted to take, simply because once you enter with a stated goal - in this case, nursing - you are given a four-year schedule. Semester X, you take pre-requisites A, B, C, and school requirement D and/or E.
But, I also fully realize that the way my mind works isn't the same as others, so what is glaringly obvious to me isn't always obvious to other people, and vice-versa.
So, this semester, my two required are Physiology and Psychology. Physiology I made it so that I was taking it with the same professor I had last semester for Anatomy - she's that incredibly awesome, and the strongly worded suggestion is that if you find a professor that you love and can learn from, take all the classes with that professor that you can. So darn straight I'm going to make it so that I can take her class again! Psychology, I really don't know anything about the professor except for their name, so that one was chosen based on timing.
Those two classes I'm looking forwards to, because I've taken Physiology before, and I do enjoy Psychology. I'm of the opinion that if I don't get into the nursing program, I'll become a psych major and try to make a career in that field. (My family may be of a different opinion, but that is a bridge to be faced in November, when I will hear if I was accepted into the program or not.)
My two padding classes to bring me up to a full-time student is pottery and an English class, the Theory and Teaching of Writing. Passing that class will allow me to work in the Writing Center at school, which will be a novel experience. Pottery, well, last semester I got to be a ballerina, this semester I get to play with clay and get my hands dirty.
I'm actually working in the math lab this semester, as well as being a homework grader for my Statistics professor. Mostly because I am jumping at the experience to help folks with their math, a tiny bit for the money to put towards my garden this year.
So, my goals this semester are actually the same as last semester. Get solid As in all my classes. Don't procrastinate on anything - start working on assignments as soon as they are handed out. And actually study...last semester it was very much last minute everything and the occasional scanning of notes.
Next time: laying claim to on-campus spaces, by (hopefully) getting a locker and finding the best study spot for me on campus...and using it.
No comments:
Post a Comment