It just feels like a Friday.
Pottery: we got to start working with the clay today! I'm the only lefty in the class, which is...eh, not too surprising. While I'm more ambidextrous than left-handed, for the purposes of this class I had to choose one or the other. All that we did today was wedge and center the clay on the wheel. Considering that there was maybe about 10 minutes to practice that, not surprising. Next week we get to start doing cylinders!
No, I'm not sarcastic about that one. This is a beginning pottery class, it's been over a decade since I last had a pottery class, and that was mostly coil and slab work, along with a healthy chunk of glass etching. A good portion of the class has never thrown on a wheel before, or used clay in any serious sort of setting.
Physiology: I'd love for people to understand that yes, while the schedule put out by the school says that our one-hour session each week is the technical "lab" portion of the class, what the professor and department has decided is that it's an integrated lab and lecture, so doing lab-type stuff is indeed possible on one of the technically "lecture" days. Frankly, I was surprised to see that this school has a one-hour lab day and two two-hour lecture days for each class section. Almost done with the basic chemistry of all the base nutrients in the body, I love this stuff, for all that it's rather boring. Repeating classes like I have to with anatomy and physiology would indeed cause a slightly higher level of boredom.
Something that is making me feel rather odd is the fact that the professors are all "call me John" sorts. This is something that requires a bit of a paradigm shift in my brain, since they're teachers. I've been raised that a teacher in a formal setting is Mr/Mrs/Ms LastName, Professor, or Doctor. Well, I will deal.
Tomorrow: English, and might I enter my hours for this math stuff now, please?
No comments:
Post a Comment