22 February, 2012

Communication is an essential skill

In everything.

Painting: started our first non-still-life painting today.  Our take-home assignment was to bring in a picture of our face, with only one light source, so that we'd obtained lots and lots of shadows.  My picture was taken in a dark room, at night, with only my laptop screen as light.  Professor loved it.  Heard him giving grief to some other students, but that may have been because they didn't take any pictures...then we had to draw the picture, and from there we'd start painting.  Yeah, I haven't used charcoals in forever, I did get a fair amount of help because I wasn't quite sure what he was looking for until he actually started putting charcoal to paper.  (My first attempt looked like a Picasso sketch.)

He also handed back another painting that we did and he graded.  I got an A-, simply because I didn't use enough paint and some of my shadows were too sharp.  (One possible reason for the bad shadows - which I didn't think were so bad - my glasses prescription is off, just found that out the other day, and it'll take another week or so for my new glasses to come in.  It isn't a big change, but I think that it's significant enough that I'll notice a difference with my new glasses.  Eh, won't know until I try.)

But not enough paint?  Um...he never said anything about how much paint we needed to be using.  I'm enough of a minimalist that I don't like using large amounts of paint in a small area, even though I know that I won't run out, it's still second nature to use as little as possible to get my point across.  The painting that we turned in today had me really gooping on the paint, and that was almost painful at times.  It's playing his game, really the only way to take some classes, but still.  Eh, I'll try it with this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment